Wednesday, September 05, 2018

The Power of Words

It's been a long time since I've posted anything. I'd like to mark my return to my blog by posting a quote about the beauty and power of the written word in an excerpt in a letter from Heloise to Abelard. I won't go into any details about their history at this time. But read what Heloise wrote. In a day and age of texts and Snapchat, I thought it would be appropriate to show this.


 "If a picture, which is but a mute representation of an object, can give such pleasure, what cannot letters inspire? They have souls; they can speak; they have in them all that force which expresses the transports of the heart; they have all the fire of our passions, they can raise them as much as if the persons themselves were present; they have all the tenderness and the delicacy of speech, and sometimes even a boldness of expression beyond it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home